What is Apache Kalumet?
Apache Kalumet is a complete deployment and provisioning platform.
It's a perfect complement of continuous integration tools (such as Jenkins, Continuum, etc),
by providing continuous deployment.
It supports custom provisioning plan (named kscripts), and provides native support
of differents technologies, including J2EE, OSGi, etc.
For instance, in the enterprise, the continuous integration tool provides an artifact.
This artifact could be in different format (jar, war, ear, zip, tar.gz, etc) and may contain:
- others archives
- configuration files which have to be updated to fit a target environment
- eventually SQL scripts to update a database
More over, these artifacts may require some middlewares to run:
- setup an operating system matching the middlewares requirements
- an archive containing PHP, HTML, etc, require an Apache HTTPd server
- a war file requires a JSP/Servlet engine such as Apache Tomcat or Jetty
- an ear requires a J2EE application server such as Apache Geronimo, IBM WebSphere, Oracle WebLogic
- etc ...
From an industrial perspective, it's the role of the administrators to:
- install and setup the operating system
- install the middlewares (for instance uncompress the middlewares archives, create response files, launch
installation script, etc)
- customize the middlewares (for instance setup the httpd.conf file, install additional modules, create and
deploy data source in an application server, etc)
- uncompress the application artifacts, and deploy into the middlewares
It requires different teams, a lot of scripts, mostly not managed in a central place, and a human error risk is
More the number of environments is high, with differents technologies, more the effort is important for the
Apache Kalumet provides a central platform (the Kalumet Console), interacting with agents, to handle all these
NB: the Kalumet website is under construction, new resources will be available soon.